Sunday, April 27, 2014

Sights in the Netherlands

We were very torn about how to best spend our few days in the Netherlands.  Chill and vacation and play in the park?  Do some sightseeing?  I think we ended up finding the right balance.
On Monday the kids went on another go-cart adventure.  All the stores were closed Sunday and Monday in observance of Easter.  We had planned ahead but forgot toilet paper- and we were out! Thankfully the park store was open so we pedaled down the street to make a quick purchase.
That afternoon we drove back over to Deventer where Opa and Oma live.  We walked down to the river and took a ferry ride across to the windmill.  These kiddos were a little uncertain? 




But not so for this tiny girl managing her bike! 
This particular windmill or "windmolen" is still a functioning part of a sawmill.  The thing that is magical about windmills, and they are truly such an amazing thing to see in real life, is that I think even the nationals know they are special. 



Our blatant photo op was not too embarrassing. 


The kids really loved the ferry ride back to the city.


There we walked through town to the market center.  And the best cheese ever.
(Ok, wait, this pic was actually Saturday) and almost got run over by some sheep.  Sheep? Yes.  Following their sheepherder right through the market center of this beautiful city! 
I LOVE IT!
And finally, a stop for Italian ice.  Delicious.

The kids ended their day with an hour of swimming.  So basically, they completed a triathlon!

On Tuesday, Emma and I toured the Royal Palace in Apeldoorn. Het Loo is beautiful and the history of the many queens is rich.

I took Emma's picture in the bedroom of Queen Emma.
Meanwhile, JB took the three younger kids on a tour that was much more appropriate for them.


Another activity packed 5 days.  Time to go back to Germany.  I will say, there were 6 rather sad people to be leaving the Netherlands.  Next time JB does a study abroad it is the Netherlands or bust.

1 comment:

  1. Steph, I have enjoyed your blog so much! Wouldn't those snails be delicious roasted with garlic and butter? I shared your beautiful blue butterfly with my coworkers. I told them it was a personality test. What do you see? A butterfly or what it landed on? I wanted to show all the wonderful playground equipment to our Parks Dept. but I was afraid they might get all upset and quit. Take care and cherish every minute! I love you, Aunty Beverly

    ReplyDelete