Tuesday, April 27, 2010

A Screeching Halt

A week ago Monday was L's 9 month well baby check. While a relatively healthy little guy, this visit he scored low enough on the developmental checklist to warrant a referral to a special child based therapy organization. Eeerrrchhh. (That's the sound of the brakes being put on). Yes, due to his prenatal experience this is to be expected and yes, he has been about one month behind as we have monitored his milestones over the past 9 months. But occupational baby therapy? Were we really talking about that big of a delay? Early intervention is key and so of course I made the phone calls right away. And of course, I will do whatever needs to be done for this precious little guy- I mean look at this adorable little face!I mentally began to clear my calendar. What could I cut? And part of me wondered, "Cut what? Making dinner? Doing laundry? Blogging? Yes. Probably blogging." Time had to made for..... Baby school? This was a daunting thought as I am.... well, hmm, how shall I say this.... "not sure I am keeping every single ball in the air... " And another part of me wondered if it was time to jump on the "delayed" track. No, he is not crawling. No, he doesn't actively participate in patty cake. No, he does not have a specific word for a specific thing... or mimic.... or push his arm through his sleeve when you are dressing him.... or bang two toys together.... But, there are so many things he does do! Like pose for a picture!It's a change in mindset. With the two older kids I constantly had to check myself from focusing too much on the "checklists". Without fail, every time I was about to panic because the chart said that at "this age" they should be doing "this" and they weren't, days or weeks later- they were. With L, it is a little more important to stay diligent on the milestones- but guess what? In the week since his doctor appointment he has made significant progress towards many of the things I said he wasn't doing. He is not yet crawling, BUT he is doing pre-crawling moves. He can rotate around in 360 degrees, inch backwards and forwards (he must be doing it like an inch worm) and he has started getting up on all fours and rocking back and forth. He did bang two things together today and has started making more motions towards "clapping". I think he may be starting to say, "Mama" for me. (He says mama and dada sounds, just not toward anyone or anything). I am fairly confident he is going to "get" all these things.... just maybe not right "on time". And once again, have you seen a cuter little guy?

No comments:

Post a Comment