Thursday, April 21, 2011

Esdr craf s

The other day I taught E how to "Google" something... a recipe we were looking up. I neglected to talk to her at that point about how I need to be involved with any future googling she might do. So, when I sat down at the computer a couple days ago it was with a variety of emotions that I saw in the google search box; "esdr craf s". She is a phonetic speller for sure at this point- for clarification she was searching "Easter Crafts". Remember the sign on her door? Lokd Dr? Vowels are often dispensed with... Anyway, I sat looking at my daughters efforts to find a fun Easter craft on her own and felt not the least bit conflicted. Good for her for taking initiative and using her head to research something she was interested in! Oh, great, now I need to talk to her about safe and appropriate internet usage. How sad is it that this sweet little six year old has to try and figure out her own little holiday craft to do? Shoot. I was hoping the past four years of Easter craft extravaganza was going to hold us through this year. We have made paper mache eggs, plastic eggs transformed with felt bits into little animals, Easter Lily handprint flowers, egg carton paper flower gardens, mini chick egg nests and toilet paper egg cups.... to name a few. Is Easter in two days?
But most of all, what I have been thinking about is this: my kids don't appear to have a corner on the satisfaction market. You know what I am saying? Even as good natured and kind as they mostly tend to be... they are always looking ahead to what is next. Wondering what the options are for more. Craving new and involved activities. And it doesn't matter what we might be currently doing or have just finished doing. Making homemade cookies... Can we watch a movie? Playing outside in a wonderful mud puddle... Can we have a snack? Going to the library... Can we go out to eat? Playing in the mall play area... Can we ride the escalators?.... and on and on. I struggle to verbalize this attitude of being content with the current fun we are having that I hope to teach them. Encouraging them not to always be asking for more. What is the best way to describe this mentality to small people?

1 comment: