Saturday, March 19, 2011

Two Birthdays

Being totally honest here.... it is one day away from the first day of Spring... in honor of that I am changing my background on the blog and, um, trying to catch up with some overdue posts.
You may be thinking this is a post about new baby- but in an effort to keep thing chronological, I am going to pick up where I left off, Fall!

Two kiddos have Fall birthdays- E and S- only a couple weeks apart. We have been celebrating them together with a "big"party. And then individual small celebrations on the actual day. It occurs to me that this is actually making two birthdays into three parties, not exactly simplifying!
It was technically E's turn to pick the theme/Grandma Spectacular cake. Last year was the amazing train cake for the birthday party. She debated and pored over pictures, narrowing them down to only a few remaining. I was sure she would pick my favorite.... and I had games and decorations planned in my head. I was careful, though, not to let on which one I hoped she would choose. Finally she said she had decided, and with an apologetic tone and look that let me know I was much more transparent to my daughter than I realized, asked for a "guitar" shaped cake. Oh. This wasn't the cake I thought she truly wanted! And it wasn't the plan I had already begun in my head! Abandoning my Mommy of the Year Award once again, I told her that it was her birthday and her choice (good so far) BUT that I didn't know any guitar games or decorations and I thought as a theme.... the other choice was better... The Princess and The Pea. So, it was up to her, guitar cake- OR, Princess and the Pea cake with lots of decorations and fun games.... She agreed the Pea cake sounded much better as I put it, so that was what was ordered. There were some lessons learned here- mostly for me. Next time I will try to better. But in the meantime, she truly LOVED her cake and all the cute decorations and games....
Aunty next door felt bad for S turning 3 with a princess cake so she made him an adorable camping cake complete with a little guy sleeping in a tent next to a fire.

No comments:

Post a Comment